Monday, March 31, 2008

Gee, This Looks Low. &trade

The Love Guru
Paramount Pictures
Starring: Mike Myers
Director: Marco Schnabel

Wayne Campbell.
Austin Powers.
Shrek.

All of these wonderful characters have been brought to us by the comedic genius of Mike Myers. But now, he has recently invented the Guru Pitka; an American raised outside of the country who returns to rule the self-help business with an iron fist.




This film has already sparked some controversy in India for his portrayal of the main character. I didn't hear the Scots getting angry at Fat Bastard, so something must be wrong with this flick. Hockey? Gurus and hockey? I know Myers is a native Canadian and hockey is a way of life up there, but will this film beat out Wayne's World or any of the Austin Powers films? Or be as memorable? I think not.

jt - love guru

I could be stoned by my cinephile colleagues for saying this, but it is quite possible Justin Timberlake may be the one saving grace of this film. Or he could help dig the grave deeper for this sad picture. He's been testing his limits with his choices in characters as of late, and I'll be routing for him.

Pitka's Karma is Huge. But my tao is telling me to pass by this one. He ain't randy, he ain't green, and this film doesn't look far out at all.

The Love Guru opens in theaters on Friday, June 20th.

No comments: