Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saw V --- v. disappointing.

Saw V
Directed by David Hackl
Twisted Pictures / Lionsgate

Photobucket



It's not often anymore that films are released to theaters that I absolutely have to see as soon as they appear - the day of release, sometimes even at midnight (see Sex and the City: The Movie). In 2004, when Saw came out, something about it intrigued me and I saw it the day after its release. I went to a 4pm showing by myself because a friend wanted me to preview it and report back as to how many times a clown was on screen. When I walked out of the theater, I called her immediately and told her that she was seeing the film that night at 10pm...yes, I saw the original Saw twice in one day. Needless to say, each time a new Saw installment appeared, I was excited to see it. Granted, my elation upon leaving the theater diminished a bit each time, but I've enjoyed all of the four films. My rationale: as long as they keep surprising me, I'll continue seeing them (and enjoying them, as the case appeared to be). Based on all of this, it seems I'll be skipping Saw VI.

I can barely muster the words to express my deep disappointment in Saw V. While previous sequels in the series have flashed back to their predecessors, this particular bore-fest (yes, I said BORE-fest..not gore-fest) regurgitated far too much and created far too few new and intriguing plot elements.



It's difficult to summarize the plotline for a film such as this. The Saw films follow a number of victims of a man nicknamed Jigsaw and the audience sits in pained suspense and anguish as these people fight for their lives trying to escape elaborate "games" set for them. Jigsaw has never killed anyone -- he has given them a second chance at life, but at his "victims' " choosing. Those who do not appreciate what they have chance waking up in some ungodly contraption that will challenge their thresholds for physical and mental pain.

Photobucket

Each film has brought a kill at the opening that is very unsettling. A victim comes to consciousness in a trap and a video screen bearing the image of a white-faced clown puppet turns on. A voice informs the victim of the rules, asks him/her to make a choice, and disappears; then the game begins. Saw V is no different. We see the game set forth for a man named Seth (Joris Jarsky) who has brutally murdered a woman and, well, let's just say Edgar Allan Poe would be exceptionally proud of the torture game Seth has to play. The film moves on to pick up where Saw IV left off -- in the same warehouse operating room where John/Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) lays dead. FBI Agent Strahm (Scott Patterson) and Detective Mark Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) lurk about in the building looking for survivors. Hoffman rescues a little girl; Strahm finds himself in a tricky situation -- and teaches us how helpful a pen kept in your pocket really can be.

The rest of the film gives the audience two plotlines - one that shows us a multi-player game (think Saw II but nowhere near as interesting or well-executed...no pun intended) and one about Jigsaw's second accomplice...yes, there was another one. Amanda (Shawnee Smith) is no longer with us and we discover about this second person's extensive involvement in the games of the past. This is where an awful lot from the previous films make up the plot of the fifth.

Photobucket

One of my largest complaints about the plotlines to the more recent installments is the humanization of Jigsaw. The best horror villians are the iconic characters who keep getting up again and somehow come back to life ready to fight another day. In the first Saw film, we learn that Jigsaw is a man suffering from cancer, and because of this, we are willing accept Amanda's help and involvement in the conclusion of the second film. In Saw V, Jigsaw's backstory and flashbacks are no longer interesting or palatable. The scenes involving his ex-wife Jill Tuck (Betsy Russell) make very little impact (perhaps she's the focus of the upcoming Saw VI). Hitchcock would roll in his grave if he was aware of what could also be construed as the MacGuffin of this film. (Please, I hope that wasn't the intention). The second accomplice is boring to watch and is played by an actor whose performance makes him rival Kristen Stewart for the Wet-Mop-of-the-Year Award.

The multi-player game, while inducing some cringing and squirming (though nothing compared to the previous films), is rushed and has little-to-no connection to the rest of the film. It appears as if the filmmakers threw this part in to keep the masses happy -- and they fail miserably. Of the players, Carlo Rota (Morris from TV's 24) is the only one with any spunk, but we just don't get enough of him. He is, arguably, the most dynamic of the film's entire cast.

The tagline for this film is, "You won't believe the ending." As I said earlier, as long as these films surprised me, I would continue seeing them. I'm not the kind of person who tries for two hours to crack the codes and puzzles put before me. I'll think about it, but generally, I sit back and let the story unfold. Unfortunately, not only did I believe the ending of Saw V, I guessed it as well. Both the "trick" to the multi-player game and the ultimate resolution of the film were simple and straightforward and I was sorely disappointed when I realized that I had been let down by one of my favorite series of films.

While Saw VI is already in the works, hopefully, the release will be nothing more than a straight-to-DVD campaign. I think most Saw fans will agree with me - this is one series we've seen enough of.

Photobucket
Saw V is now playing in theaters.

No comments: